Ogu primed for new season


Nigeria and Academica de Coimbra midfielder, John Ogu, has stated his readiness for the new Primeira Liga season in Portugal after a rigorous pre-season with the "All Blacks."
He also wants to help his team get back into Europe in the 2013/14 season.

Ogu, who spoke to 9jafooty.blogspot.com from his base in Portugal, also expressed his desire to do well at his club so that he can be relevant in the Super Eagles as the World Cup season approaches.


"I joined my teammates on the 18th of July after I was given an extended break because of my participation in the Confederations Cup.

"Pre-season was fantastic, we had a 10-day closed camping where we played four matches and won all. I played the games against Naval Beira Mar and Maritimo and I'm satisfied with my performance," the midfielder stated.

The former Uniao Lleria player, who was part of Nigeria's team to the Fifa Confederations Cup in Brazil last month, spoke about the tournament and said the Super Eagles have benefited from the experience and can only get better.

"Brazil ( Confederations Cup) was one of mixed feelings for me personally, I was happy because of the experience I garnered there. I was really happy to represent Nigeria.

"We didn't achieve our aim though. We had the Uruguay game on a plate, but eventually lost out to them. Spain was always going to be a bridge too far, we could have done better," said Ogu.

Ogu also expressed his desire to do well for his club, so as to continue to stake a claim for a place in the Super Eagles as the run-in towards the World Cup takes shape.

"Without jumping the gun, my major ambition this coming season is to help Nigeria qualify for the World Cup and hopefully make the plane to Brazil.

"But before that, there is the small matter of beating Malawi in September and then gear up for the final round. I believe we can do it," the towering midfielder added.

Ogu has been included in Nigeria's squad to take on South Africa in the Nelson Mandela Challenge on August 14.

He has been capped six times by Nigeria and made his debut in the 1-1 draw against Kenya in a Fifa World Cup qualifier in Calabar in March.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NPFL WEEK 8 MATCH DAY 1 RESULTS

Introducing Barca's Godswill Ekpolo

Joseph Olowu declares for Nigeria