Kano Diaries: Day One.


Kano....
Kano has always been a city I love since my secondary school days as passing through on my way to Azare was always a pleasure, so you can imagine my joy when the Nigeria Football Federation decided to take the second leg qualifier of the 2018 CHAN against Benin to the ancient city.

My journey started from Zaria, another town that is close to my heart. A quick two hour drive and I was in Kano and off to Nimah Guest Hotel to meet up with Kola Daniel of ScoreNigeria who decided to host me.

Despite keeping me waiting at the hotel lobby for nearly an hour, I forgave him for all his sins when he decided to be my host. His sins were washed away there and then.

I later met Callistus Ebare at the same hotel hotel and we decided to head over to Bristol Hotel to see some NFF officials. After a brief period of back chat, we headed back to town but not after some pleasantries with the cute receptionist at the hotel who kept smiling at me.

With Jane and Deji
I walked up to her and asked her why she was smiling and staring. She muttered some words I can’t put on this blog but I gave her my card sha. I later got a text from her asking me what 'club' I play for. Apparently she thought I was a footballer (sigh).

Next stop was the Eagles Hotel where I had an appointment with Thomas Zenke of Nasarawa United and Elisha Golbe of Plateau United. We had a fruitful discussion and then it was back to the hotel to refresh myself.

With Kola Daniel and Callistus Ebare
I had suya and a can of Pepsi for lunch. Kano people una no try at all. Why big town like this no get better restaurant nah...I had to move around a lot and yet I could not find a good place to eat. Una dey try at all. You should do better my people.

Managed to grab some lunch and then I was off to the stadium where Kola Daniel was waiting for me. Francis Achi aka Totori Master joined up and then I also met Deji for the first time. A well spoken and humble Kano based journo is, a gentleman too.

I watched the Eagles train for a bit and they looked sharp especially the goalkeepers. I hope they do us proud tomorrow. They really have to.


Enugu based Jane called me and said she was on her way so I had to wait for her at the stadium. She arrived a few minutes later and we headed back to my hotel alongside Deji.

Wale Ajayi of NSM (he will sue me for this) was waiting for us at the Hotel alongside Biola. We bantered a bit and after we freshened up, we headed to Sabon Gari to find dinner.

Kano Pillars left back Chris Madaki was waiting for us at the restaurant and we had a good time catching up afte nearly three years of meeting each other last.

Dinner for me was semovita and egusi soup with beef but that was not the story. The main gist was Totori Master downing two plates of food and also requesting for ‘takeway’. Bibian? I won’t reveal her secret here sha.....

Eagles after training on Friday evening.

After having our fill we headed back to the hotel as Chris took his leave. Totori came to my room to hang out a bit and we had a good time chatting about football and life.


We had a few other visitors come up to the hotel room to chat. National engagements is quite fun because everyone from every nook and cranny of the country turns up, and it's always a party when it happens.



Former Sunshine Stars centre back Jude Ebitogwa also popped in to say hi and as usual we reminisced  about old days, the debts owed players and plans for the future. Great guy he is.



We lost track of time and before I knew it, midnight was here. Man had to retire, body no be like before.

That’s all for today. I hope tomorrow will be better.

Cheers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NPFL WEEK 8 MATCH DAY 1 RESULTS

Introducing Barca's Godswill Ekpolo

Joseph Olowu declares for Nigeria