NPFL stars recount 2016/17 season


The 2016/17 Nigeria Professional Football Season was a tough and grueling one that saw Plateau United emerge winners for the first time in their club history.

Weeks of road trips, flights, spectacular goals and great saves culminated in the Jos based side lifting the title and giving Jos fans something to smile about after decades of agony.

For other teams and the principal actors, it was time to take their feet off the pedal to relax, take stock, recharge and get set for the new season that will welcome back Heartland Football Club of Owerri back to the top flight.

Kwara United are also back to the elite class and so also Yobe Desert Stars while Omoku side Go Round FC complete the quartet who will play in the NPFL next season.

As the players wind up their holidays and get set for pre-season training, npfl.ng caught up with a few of them to discuss the past season, their best and toughest games as well as their expectations for next season.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elisha Golbe-Skipper and defender (Plateau United)

“I had a great season  last season, glory be to  God for a successful season  without  much injury, my performance  last season  was great because  I   contributed   a lot to the team by scoring  goals  as a defender and also defending  well because  we conceded the least number of goals  last season

My toughest game last season was against  Lobi Stars of Makurdi when we drew at home in Jos. It was a very tough game I must admit.

The game I enjoyed  most was the game against  Remo Stars in Sagamu because I scored  the winning  goal  at the die minutes of the game

My expectation for next  season  is to perform  and do well, much  more than  I did last season  by God’s grace.
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kelvin Itoya- Winger, attacking midfielder (Rangers International)

 “It was a good season for me as avoiding relegation was the goal when I joined Rangers in mid-season and it was achieved. Officiating has also improved and I believe it will still improve because we are not there yet.

My toughest game was against Kano Pillars in Kano. We played our hearts out with good football but conceded two cheap goals in the same first half. We didn’t get due rewards in that game.

I will rate the game was against Enyimba in Enugu as my best as I came off the bench to turn things around and we finally got a draw that we needed to formally escape relegation.

 I enjoyed the holidays, it was fun but for now, am just focusing on training hard and getting ready for the new season bearing in mind that I didn't play a full season last season. I expect to do very well with my team and score goals that can help us win something this coming season.

 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Otegbeye Ajibola- Attacker (Sunshine Stars) 

“Last season was okay from my point of view. I played only the 15 matches in the second round of the NPFL and scored 8 goals while I scored 5 goals in the Aiteo Cup so I wouldn't say it was a bad season.

Every game was tough, to be honest, but I think the toughest match I played has to be the Sunshine Stars vs Nasarawa United game which we lost 1-0 at home. Everything just didn't click on the day for me and my team-mates.

For my best game, there are so many to pick from but I will go with the away game at my former teams ABS. We won 4-2 away and I was among the goals. It was a unique experience for me.

I expect next season to be far great than last season because I will keep working hard and be more prayerful. Hopefully, you (npfl.ng) will hear some great news from me, Insha Allah.


 
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samuel Agba-Attacker (Niger Tornadoes)

“The past season was a tough one for me but I’m glad how it ended with my side getting to the final of the Aiteo Cup even though we lost to Akwa United. I think we surprised a lot of people with the run to the final. 

I had a few good games last season but I will pick the home game against FC Ifeanyi Ubah at home. It was quite tough but I enjoyed it all. Rivers United was my toughest opponents as they had some really strong defenders.

I commit the 2017/18 season to God’s hands and I believe it will be good for me as I’m hoping to work harder than I’ve ever had while praying that it pays dividends.

 The holidays are going on fine even though I’m about to resume pre-season. I spent it with my wife. It was more or less like a honeymoon for me because I got married a week to the end of last season.

I really Enjoyed my game against Ifeanyi Ubah, my toughest game was against river United in the upcoming season I commit everything into God's hands.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“The 2016/17 season was a good one for me I must admit as I did enough to get the attention of the national team selectors and I was called up to the CHAN team. I also did well for my club Lobi Stars.

I must admit the second half of last season was very tough for me as a striker. My toughest game was against Sunshine Stars in Akure despite the fact we won the game 1-0 and I scored the only goal of the game.

Our 4-2 loss to Abia Warriors was my best game of last season. I enjoyed myself in that and scored twice. The only problem was that we lost but I thoroughly enjoyed the game.
Eduwo Kingsley (Lobi Stars)

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I will rate the 2017/18 as a successful one as my team Niger Tornadoes didn’t do too badly in the league and we got to the final of the Aiteo Cup. The loss to Akwa United really hurt but we have to move on.

My best game of the season has to be the home game against Plateau United who won the league while my most difficult game was against Akwa United in Uyo.  

I spent my holiday with my mum, siblings and loved ones in Kaduna. It was fun being with them for a while but it’s time to go and prepare for the 2017/18 season. I hope I can surpass everything I achieved last season in the incoming season. 

 Andrew Ikefe -Defender/Defensive midfielder (Niger Tornadoes)

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Last season was a learning curve for me but I always give glory to God for everything that happens to me and I must say I give glory to him for the past season. It wasn't easy as you know but I have learned a lot and hopefully, those experiences will come to bear in the new season.

I had a wonderful game against Sunshine Stars in Akure and I will rate that as my best game last season while the away game to Gombe should be my worst because nothing happened for me in that game. It was a bad day at the office for me personally.

The holidays were quite cool. I spent in in Jos with my family and friends just having fun and enjoying their company. I also took time to rest my body after a hectic season but it’s back to work now.

I really want to work harder at my game this season so as to earn myself a national call-up. That is my target for the new season
Eric Gwammy- Midfielder (Katsina United)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NPFL WEEK 8 MATCH DAY 1 RESULTS

Introducing Barca's Godswill Ekpolo

Joseph Olowu declares for Nigeria